London with a roar – celebrations and the underground with an ostomy

The last few days have gone by in a delirious blur. I can honestly say that these past

The Italian - too many choices

The Italian – too many choices

few days have been some of the happiest of my life. Ok, I’m no stranger to happiness, but after all the years of IBD torment I have often struggled to fully embrace times of peace, calm and success knowing another bout of illness is just around the corner. But these past few days have been different – I’m still me, just improved.

I don’t know if that makes any sense. I’m not sure how to explain it. I’m still having issues, I’m still not perfect (but that’s just me), but I feel something new…I think it might be hope.

I’ve been on a bit of a high since the award ceremony. I’ve been overwhelmed by the number of emails I’ve had from work colleagues, editors and industry professionals I never dreamed would be emailing me to pat me on the back. The messages from people I know and strangers I have never met on Twitter and Facebook have left me feeling truly humbled, and the heartfelt messages from the Coriam family have stunned me into silence. My parents were overjoyed when I rang them from my bed on Thursday morning, still suffering from the no food too much white wine induced hangover, croaking that I’d won an award…they were delighted, but I think if they’d been able to see my mascara strewn face at that moment they’ve been far from amused. It was such a nice feeling to be ringing them with good news – a lot of our phone calls start with “I don’t want to worry you” or “don’t worry I’m ok”. They must be constantly on edge when ever they see my name on the phone display.

Anyway, I know by now you will all be getting tired of me harping on about this, so I’m going to draw a line under it and get on with my job. But this award has given me a much-needed spark and shove in the right direction. It has given me hope just when I was starting to sink back into the worry pit – that constant cycle of worrying about IBD flares, test results and future surgery – and plunged me back into the world of enjoying my life almost free from IBD pain. It has reminded me I’m almost there, just one more lot of surgery and me and Winnie will be one forever and we can kick Crohn’s/Colitis out of bed at last.

It also made me realise its time to really get cracking on this list of challenges and start getting somewhere with my mission to help change the public’s perception of IBD and stomas – I’ve only got four-and-a-half-years left after all.

So on Thursday after pulling myself out of my wine daze and attempting to reply to all the lovely emails in a humbled manner, I took myself for a run along the canal in attempt to blow away the cobwebs and after deciding I’m going to do the Santa Dash this year to raise money for the hospital’s Baby Grow Appeal. Ok, it’s not a marathon but I really don’t want to make a fool of myself. If I’m honest I’m terrified I’m going to fall over in the Santa suit, which, it seems, is one size fits all. Honestly, I’m tiny, I’m going to be mooning to the whole world if I’m not careful…I’ll probably be in my own newspaper as a flashing Santa!

Anyway at 4pm I boarded the train to London for my big city adventure. I’ve been looking forward to this since Andy announced he was taking me to see the Lion King for my birthday earlier this month. Ok, so my birthday isn’t until next month, but who cares I’ve wanted to see the Lion King for longer than I can remember…and I’m sure he will get me something else to open on the day (hint hint). The train journey passed without accident or mishap (unusual for someone used to struggling with disgusting toilets, knocking myself out against sinks or getting trapped and having to txt someone to free me), in fact the most amusing moment was listening to a couple of students who wondered whether Crewe was in Wales amongst other idiotic questions which left me almost wetting myself as I fought to control bouts of silent laughter.

Seeing Andy again was like being reunited with a long-lost lover, despite the fact we had only been apart a few days it honestly felt like I hadn’t seen him in weeks. In the three days he’d been gone so much had happened, and I’d actually felt quite lonely in the house without him – I’d even started my childish habit of checking under the bed for monsters and murders…paranoid I know! I think I didn’t come up for air for a good half an hour while I whittered on and on, passengers on the packed underground mustn’t have known what had hit them. I must have sounded like Stacey Solomon or Vicky Pollard.

London is a whole different ball game, everything is faster, busier, more chaotic and much much more expensive. It is like every city in England but on speed. If you dare to stop in a street you will be collided into, and if you made the unforgivable mistake of getting lost and stopping to consult a map you will ruin lives and evoke the wrath of thousands of disgruntled workers, shoppers and even tourists, as well as creating a pile-up worthy of police intervention. Taking the tube is a mission, involving huddling like penguins into a tiny space and hoping you don’t get crushed…being slightly claustrophobic and with no sense of balance it was very far from pleasant and I found myself subconsciously trying to protect Winnie from the crush – a difficult thing to do when you have a stranger’s elbow sticking in your stomach. The tube is not the place to be worried about personal space (however it seems I turn into a queen bitch when mines invaded). And, I have to add it is not the place to go with a full ostomy bag, all it would have taken was a rogue elbow jutted in the wrong place and DISASTER.

But although I have to admit hating the tube, hating having stranger’s armpits wafted in my face and hot gusts of stale alcohol breath wafted in my face, it was made a hell of a lot easier without the constant tug of Crohn’s/Colitis. Travelling with no way of knowing where the next toilet would be was so much easier without the pain, nausea and urgency plaguing my every second. Although I still struggle with my IBD I didn’t have any problems while in the capital, and I didn’t feel that awful bubbling wave of panic the moment the doors shut and I knew the next toilet could be a good half hour away. I may have felt like my arm was being yanked out of its socket…like a sardine being squished in a can…but I didn’t feel in pain. That’s got to be something, right?

This has been long again, sorry. So I will write tomorrow about The Lion King and the Eye. I promise they won’t always be this long and that I’ll do some videos soon. It’s really been too long.




2 thoughts on “London with a roar – celebrations and the underground with an ostomy

  1. Enjoy London it’s a great place to be. The tube is a really good way of getting round and if you go wrong just get off at the next stop and walk over to the opposite platform – simples. Congratulations on winning the award, couldn’t have gone to anyone more deserving. See you soon back in Chester. Enjoy Lion King.

  2. Pingback: It’s getting hot in here!: Coping with dehydration with an ostomy | The big stoma bucket list

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s